Why Do Car Accidents Happen? Important Factors to Consider
Although there is no way of completely avoiding car accidents, following road safety rules can and do help prevent many. Here are a few things to remember:
The Danger of Speeding
Driving fast can be an exhilarating experience, especially for young drivers. However, posted speed limits are there for a reason – they keep us safe.
- Driving above the speed limit is not only a traffic offense, but at any point if you lose control over your car, it can lead to an accident.
- Sticking to speed limits is one of the most effective ways of limiting traffic accidents.
- If you have kids or adolescents, they need to be taught how to drive safely. Reinforcing the idea that speed limits are to be taken seriously is a big part of this.
The Lure of Connected Devices
Most cars today come with a plethora of smart and connected devices as well as other electronic devices which can make our lives easier, for sure. However, they can also be highly distracting while driving.
- Texting and driving or talking on the phone while driving is not uncommon – almost everyone does it or has done it.
- However, even a second’s distraction can prove to be disastrous and lead to a fatal accident.
- Responsible driving requires that you avoid any of these distractions – remember, it’s not just your life, but also the life of other drivers that you are putting at risk when you are distracted.
Not Obeying Traffic Lights
If you are in a rush, the temptation to drive through a yellow or even red light can be strong to some people.
- Besides the fact that this is a traffic violation, ignoring a traffic light puts you and other drivers in danger.
- If you are in a rush, you may be late. Oh well! That is much better than causing an accident. (And you may be more than late if that happens…you might not make it at all!)
- Plan your schedule accordingly.
- Bottom line: It is better to arrive late and in one piece.
There is no excuse for driving under the influence. Although this is the holiday season, and many will enjoy themselves with a few drinks, it does not mean getting behind the wheel while under influence.
- Close to 30 deaths are reported each day due to drunk driving.
- Driving under the influence impairs your reflexes – you tend to brake slowly, and your road and distance judgment is impacted.
- You tend to drive rashly and if you are heavily drunk, you could end up losing control of your car completely.
- If you are going to drink, don’t drive.
- If you must travel, make sure you have a backup plan for getting back home which does not involve you getting behind the wheel (get a buddy to drive or call a taxi/or a ride sharing service).
One of the banes of a modern lifestyle is less sleep. Unfortunately, this can lead to accidents.
- Focus on better sleeping habits so you are well rested.
- Think of how you can plan your day better, prioritize things better (urgent, important, and less important), and be more productive without compromising on sleep.
- If you suffer from a sleep disorder or a health issue that prevents you from sleeping well, seek professional help before getting behind the wheel again.
Accidents can be prevented by driving safely and responsibly. Follow the traffic rules, avoid distractions while driving, avoid driving if you are under the influence or sleep deprived. These rules will help keep you and your family safe as well as protect other drivers on the road.
Reliable Car Maintenance with Professional Auto Experts!
Virginia Auto Service supports safe and responsible driving 100%. They do their bit for keeping roads safe by providing professional car care.
If you are in need of car repair service or even if you are looking for routine maintenance for your car, they can help. Give them a call today at 602-266-0200 or schedule a visit with them online according to your schedule!