Five Tips for Summer Tire Care:
- Get Pressure Right – Low tire pressure can decrease fuel economy. Tires may lose up to one pound per square inch of air pressure per month. The specific inflation pressure number may be found inside the driver's door. Don't forget those trailer tires. Checking the tire pressure for boat, travel and utility trailers is as important as your car or truck.
- Don't Overload Vehicle – Overloading your vehicle or trailer decreases fuel economy due to increased cargo weight. Handling, control and braking are also negatively impacted.
- Rotate Before You Go – Regular rotation helps achieve uniform tire wear and improves performance. Tires rotated every 5,000 miles have longer life and will help maximize your investment.
- Straighten Up – Proper wheel alignment provides safe, predictable vehicle control and helps tires wear evenly and last longer. If your tires squeal when you turn or if you notice your steering wheel veers to one side while driving straight, it's time to get your wheels re-aligned.
- Bald Isn't Beautiful – Lack of tread affects the tire's ability to grip the road, especially in wet conditions. Make sure tires don't have uneven wear, which indicate something is wrong with the tire. High or low spots or unusually smooth areas may decrease traction and increase the risk of road accidents.
In conjunction with the RMA, Discount Tire assists motorists by providing free tire safety inspections at more than 875 stores throughout the U.S. These inspections are performed by trained tire technicians and take about five minutes.
The service is offered in an effort to help decrease the 195 fatalities and more than 6,300 injuries each year that result from improper tire care, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Additionally, motorists driving their vehicles with under-inflated tires waste 1.2 billion gallons of fuel each year.
Discount Tire provides the RMA support from its No. 22 Ford Mustang NASCAR team driven by Penske Racing champion Brad Keselowski, along with Joey Logano and Ryan Blaney. Keselowski lends his expertise to the national tire safety awareness campaign and will be featured on news shows throughout the country, while Logano is featured in public service radio announcements. The team is part of the RMA's "Be Tire Smart - Do Your PART" campaign to educate motorists about the importance of maintaining their tires.